WHAT IS A TRUE MAN?
While reading through the book of Genesis, reading about Joseph and his brothers, I kept coming across the phrase "True men." I began wondering. What is a "TRUE man?" According to Strong's Concordance, Genesis 42:11, 19, 31 and 34 is the only places in the Holy Bible that this phrase is used. It is the only place the Hebrew word "Ken" is used. My research revealed what a "True man" is NOT and some definitions of what a "True man" could be.
Joseph put his brothers to the test when they came to Egypt to get corn for their drought ridden family. Joseph wanted to find out if they were “true men.” He asked in four different verses if they were “true men,” He was wanting to know if there had been true repentance and change.
WHAT A TRUE MAN IS NOT
- If you are a spy - Genesis 42:9 “And Joseph remembered the dreams which he dreamed of them, and said unto them, Ye are spies; to see the nakedness of the land ye are come.”
- If you are a murder - Genesis 34:25 “And it came to pass on the third day, when they were sore that two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah’s brethren, took each man his sword, and came upon the city boldly and slew all the males.”
- If you sell your brother into slavery - Genesis 37:28 “Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt.”
- If you omit the truth - Genesis 37:31, 32 “And they took Joseph’s coat of many colors, and they brought it to their father; and said, “This have we found: know now whether it be thy son’s coat or no.:” “And he knew it, and said, It is my son’s coat: an evil beast hath devoured him’ Joseph is without a doubt rent in pieces.”
- If you hate or envy - Genesis 37:8 “And his brethren said to him, shall thou indeed reign over us? Or shall thou indeed have dominion over us? And they hated him yet the more for his dreams, and for his words.” (References from the Spirit Filled Life Bible).
THINGS THAT MAKE A TRUE MAN
According to the margin in the Spirit Filled Life Bible the word "true" means “honest.” The dictionary defines honest as held in respect, honorable, respectable, creditable, commendable and seemly.
Strong’s Concordance in Hebrew (Kuwn) defines "true" as to be erect, establish, fix, prepares, apply, appoint, render, sure, proper, and prosperous. The Hebrew (Ken) means set upright, just or rightly.
The dictionary defines "true" as firm, faithful, loyal, constant, reliable and certain.
Just is defined in the dictionary as lawful, rightful, proper, fair, and rightly.
The word "rightly" is defined as straight and direct.
Let us strive to be “True men/women” of God.